As we enter the month of October, we are proud to join the global community in commemorating Breast Cancer Awareness Month. At MRA, we are committed to supporting Cancer Registries across the United States as part of our business solutions, and this month presents a valuable opportunity for us to further our commitment to this vital cause. In this blog, we will dive into the historical background, share some significant statistics, and explore meaningful ways to stay informed and make a difference throughout this special month.
A Brief Historical Background:
Understanding the Statistics:
- According to the World Cancer Research Fund, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide, with approximately 2.3 million new cases diagnosed in 2020 alone.
- In the United States, the American Cancer Society estimates that about 281,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in 2022.
- Despite these numbers, early detection and advances in treatment have led to improved survival rates, emphasizing the importance of regular screenings and awareness campaigns.
Ways to Stay Informed and Engaged:
- Educate Yourself: Take some time to learn about breast cancer, its risk factors, and the importance of early detection. Resources from reputable organizations like the American Cancer Society provide valuable information.
- Support Fundraising Initiatives: Many organizations run fundraising campaigns during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Consider donating to these causes or participating in local events to support breast cancer research and patient support services.
- Schedule a Screening: Encourage yourself and loved ones to schedule regular breast cancer screenings, such as mammograms. Early detection greatly improves the chances of successful treatment.
- Wear Pink: Join the global movement by wearing pink to show your support for breast cancer awareness. Share your pink-themed photos and experiences on social media to inspire others.
- Get Involved Locally: Research local events, fundraisers, and awareness campaigns happening in your community. Participate or volunteer to make a meaningful impact close to home.
- Share Information: Use your platform to spread awareness about breast cancer. Share informative articles, resources, and personal stories to encourage others to take proactive steps.