A strange request was received this week from a patient and his wife. It was concerning their burial. Perhaps they just completed their wills. viagra tablets Maybe an elderly parent had passed. Regardless of the trigger, the request was real. And had to be addressed…
The request stated that in the event both husband and wife should die at our hospital, they did not want their bodies to go to a funeral home. Instead, they had made arrangements to have their bodies picked up and sent directly to the cemetery. They also wanted documentation from our organization that their request was received, and would be honored.
We decided to treat this request and accompanying documentation like a Power of Attorney or Healthcare Proxy.
- First we checked to make sure the request was a legal document from the patient and his wife. It was notarized and witnessed.
- Next we notified the hospital’s General Council for further advice.
- Risk Management was also notified and penned the response letter back to the couple.
- The legal document was placed in the front of both hard copy charts and electronic medical record for both husband and wife.
- Documentation was made in the ROI tracking system and alerts were placed in the hospital wide EMR for these patients.
What would you do?