The Health Information profession is positioned to move the data governance agenda forward. Our roles as HIM professionals lead the profession to organize the effort.
Over the next few years data stewards will be required to maintain accurate and complete clinical information, comply with applicable laws and regulations, while providing access to this data with secure mechanisms to maintain privacy and security.
Here are my thoughts…
In order to move your organization to the future state you must act now to improve the value of your information.
One way to start is to be sure your facilities have policies and standards in place in the following areas:
- Patient Identity Management
- Protocols for amendments and retractions
- Naming conventions on electronic forms and templates
- Definitions for legal medical record/e-discovery process
- Has your organization begun to address Data Governance?
What are your thoughts?