Each year the AMA (American Medical Association) publishes new, revised, and deleted codes to the CTP code set, including logic and rationale related to the updates. The CPT code set for 2022 includes several changes to the urinary system as well as a new Category III code. In this blog, we will discuss the changes regarding periurethral balloon continence device procedures and a new Category III code to treat female urinary incontinence.
New Category III Code: Monopolar Radiofrequency Remodeling of the Female Bladder Neck
New code 0672T has been established to report dual-energy tissue remodeling of the female bladder neck to treat female stress urinary incontinence. Tissues surrounding the bladder neck and proximal urethra are remodeled by utilizing a dual-energy, cryogen-cooled monopolar radiofrequency technology that stimulates collagen formation. Prior to 2022, no code existed in the CPT code set to describe dual-energy tissue remodeling.
- 0672T Endovaginal cryogen-cooled, monopolar radiofrequency remodeling of the tissues surrounding the female bladder neck and proximal urethra for urinary incontinence
Source: Viveve Solutions
Periurethral Balloon Continence Device Procedures
Periurethral balloon continence device procedures are used to treat stress urinary incontinence using a minimally invasive, long-term and adjustable balloon device. For FY 2022, Category III codes 0548T- 0551T have been deleted, and four new codes (53451-53454) have been established to report the insertion, removal, and adjustment of periurethral transperineal balloon-continence devices.
Codes 53451 and 53452 describe periurethral transperineal bilateral and unilateral insertion of a single adjustable balloon device, which include the performance of a cystourethroscopy and imaging guidance. Note that exclusionary parenthetical notes have also been added.
- 53451 Periurethral transperineal adjustable balloon continence device; bilateral insertion, including cystourethroscopy and imaging guidance
(Do no report 53451 in conjunction with 52000, 53452, 53453, 53454, 76000)
- 53452 Unilateral insertion, including cystourethroscopy and imaging guidance
(Do not report 53452 in conjunction with 52000, 53451, 53453, 53454, 76000)
Code 53453 is reported for the removal of each balloon, and 53454 is reported for percutaneous adjustment of the fluid volume of the balloon.
- 53453 removal, each balloon
(Do not report 53453 in conjunction with 53451, 53452, 53453)
- 53454 percutaneous adjustment of balloon(s) fluid volume
(Do not report 53454 in conjunction with 53451, 53452, 53453)
(Report 53454 only once per patient encounter)
Note that 53453 may be reported for the removal of each periurethral adjustable balloon continence device. However, when the fluid volume of a balloon is being adjusted percutaneously (rather than removed), 53454 should only be reported once per patient encounter.
Additional information regarding urology CPT changes for FY 2022 can be found below:
- American Medical Association (AMA) CPT 2022 Professional Edition (includes rules and guidelines from the AMA’s CPT Editorial Panel)
- AMA CPT Assistant, December 2021 Page: 21 “Periurethral transperineal balloon continence device insertion”
- AMA CPT Assistant, December 2021 Page: 11 “Periurethral balloon continence device procedures”
- AMA CPT Assistant, March 2022 Page: 12 “Periurethral balloon continence device use, clarification”
- Viveve Solutions https://vivevecanada.com/product-solutions/
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *