Karen Grant, RHIA, CHP, Chief Operating Officer
Medical Record Associates-MRA
was Honored with a Team Excellence Award for Best Practice as part of the
EMMI-Electronic Management Of Medical Information Team
MaHIMA Award Ceremony
Wednesday April 8th, 2015, Quincy, MA – Medical Record Associates, EMMI-Electronic Management of Medical Information Team was awarded a MaHIMA Team Excellence Award for Collaboration and Best Practice.
The EMMI team worked with a software developer to create an efficient way to track and monitor disclosures. The system named EMMI- Electronic Management of Medical Information is a secure web-based tracking system. MRA staff and management use EMMI to ensure the proper tracking and compliance throughout the release of information cycle. Some of the features include
- Real-time data: instantly view the status of any request or disclosure
- Authorizes users (specific departments or employees) and business associates to input required disclosures with role based permissions
- Alerts users to disclosure limitations, prevents improper disclosure of protected health information which ensures confidential information remains private
- Tracks authorized and unauthorized disclosures and related correspondence
- Customizable ROI reports for type of request, volume and turn-around time
- Scorecard creation to display real-time productivity measures
- Audit trail reports so you can see who has accessed the system
- Audits for all PHI disclosures
- Successful roll out to customers
- Improve efficiencies
- Improve turnaround for customer service
This tool was rolled out to over 30 practices within six months.
Collaboration: Each of our RHIA professionals worked jointly with the Directors of the Hospitals as well as the IT departments for a common goal.
Best Practice: Given the experience of the team and their familiarity with the Disclosure management process they were able to develop train and implement EMMI in order to be most effective in an area where many Directors expect fast turnaround times and customer service. This team of HIM professionals met the Best Practice goal.
Financial Impact: Monitoring the ROI requests provide improved efficiencies so that insurance companies and attorneys as well as patient care and safety are managed to the highest level in order to provide faster turnaround for payment to the hospitals.
The Massachusetts Health Information Management Association (MaHIMA), founded in 1930, is a 1550-member state component association of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). MaHIMA supports the provision of high quality medical care in Massachusetts through the effective management of personal health information. MaHIMA keeps Health Information Management professionals up-to-date on important issues and dynamic changes affecting their workplace and their profession through MaHIMA’s extensive calendar of educational sessions. MaHIMA members find a network of peers throughout the state to ask questions, raise concerns and share best practices. MaHIMA is an effective advocate for changes to Massachusetts laws and administrative rules affecting personal health information. www.mahima.org
Media Contact: Sherisse Monteiro